Cancellations

News Headlines – February 8, 2018

Last Updated on February 7th, 2018

Written by Paul Bomleny

The Latest 

(Undated)  —  Here’s the latest news:  It’s going to be just a few more months, hopefully, before Illinois schools get their money from the state’s new funding formula.    Illinois prison officials are ready to open a new facility in Murphysboro.  Prosecutors say the man they think stabbed and killed his wife in Bloomington also abused a child in their home. 

>>Struggle Continues To Finalize Illinois’ New School Funding Plan 

(Springfield, IL)  —  Illinois’ school managers say they hope to start sending schools across the state the money from Illinois’ new school funding formula in April.  However, the state’s superintendent says he doesn’t know if that formula will change again before then.  Illinois State Superintendent Tony Smith yesterday told lawmakers that schools can expect about 350-million-dollars this spring.  He also said lawmakers need to approve 20 different tweaks to the formula before that can happen. 

>>Illinois DOC Ready To Reopen Murphysboro As Transition Center 

(Murphysboro, IL)  —  The doors are almost ready to open at the prison in Murphysboro once again.  Illinois Governor Bruce Rauner’s office yesterday said the Department of Corrections hopes to reopen the facility, as a transition center, sometime in either March or April.  The state closed the Murphysboro center in 2012 as part of an overhaul of the state’s juvenile justice system. 

>>Bloomington Murder Suspect Accused Of Child Abuse As Well 

(Bloomington, IL)  —  Prosecutors say the Bloomington man charged with killing his wife is also facing charges for allegedly abusing a child.  The McLean County States’ Attorney’s Office says Monroe Elbert is due before a judge today to answer for the stabbing death of his wife earlier this week.  Elbert is also facing charges from an October case where investigators say he broke the leg of a child in his home.  Police are blaming the murder on domestic violence, but are not saying what led to the stabbing. 

>>One Dead, Five In Custody After East Moline Standoff 

(East Moline, IL)  —  Investigators in East Moline are still looking for what led to the shooting that started a five-hour standoff, and left one man dead and five people in custody.  Officers say the shooting happened about 11:20 yesterday morning at a house in the 300 block of 15th Avenue, not far from the city’s riverfront.  East Moline Police say they took three young men into custody almost immediately, but they waited until after 4 p.m. to get the final two suspects out of the house.  No one else was hurt, though the standoff did keep kids from a nearby elementary school from taking the bus home.